Bullet Proof Your Immune System
“Le microbe n’est rien. Le terrain est tout.” -Louis Pasteur
These were the last words uttered by the French father of the germ theory, Louis Pasteur. What he said was that the germs are nothing and that the environment is everything. Meaning that as long as you are NOT a hospitable host for a bacterium or a virus then it will generally not cause harm. Unfortunately, what western culture has been indoctrinated with is that germs and viruses are the main cause of disease and sickness and you should do everything you can to avoid them. Proof of this modern-day belief is the current panic from the spread of COVID-19 or Corona virus. Stores are being inundated by customers looking for hand sanitizers, toilet paper, antibacterial wipes, and masks. Huge corporate events are being cancelled, the market is crashing, and people all over the world are being told to stay home, cancel your travel, and watch the news for updates. There is mass hysteria and people are becoming isolated and controlled because they are living in fear.
The good news is that you most certainly DO NOT need to be controlled or panicked. Despite what the media and so called ‘experts’ say, there are easy research-proven protective measures that you can take to avoid becoming a hospitable host and avoid getting sick YEAR-ROUND!
Here are my bullet-proof strategies to strengthen your immunity, improve the robustness of your response to an infection, and stay in control of your health:
- Wash your hands, and avoid putting them in your nose or mouth while in public. That is all you need to do for precautions. You DO NOT need a mask. You DO NOT need to be bleaching or sanitizing everything all the time. In fact, you can do more harm than good by destroying natural bacteria that keep our immune systems in check. Only those who are elderly and are severely immune compromised need to be hyper vigilant.
- Take probiotics daily, eat pre-biotic foods, and eat fermented foods. Over 80% of your immune cells live in your gut tissue!! So, take care of your gut health by taking a daily probiotic and consuming foods with pre-biotics like fruits, veggies, onions, garlic, steel cut oats, and probiotics like Sauer kraut, kimchi, kombucha, and coconut kefir.
Click below for probiotics:
- Ensure that you are sufficient in vitamin D. Research shows the absolute importance of having enough of this pro-hormone in your body for optimal immune protection. In fact, since you make vitamin D naturally from sun exposure it might be part of the reason there seems to be a season for the flu from December to March in the north when you are least likely to get sun exposure. Make sure your blood levels measure between 40-60 ng/ml. Take 5000 IU of vitamin D3 during the winter months preferably with vitamin K to improve absorption.
Click below for 5000 IU vitamin D with vitamin K:
- Take 1-2 grams of EPA-DHA fish oil from trusted sources to support healthy immune function and maintain a healthy omega 3/omega 6 balance.
Click below for trusted Fish oil:
- Avoid large doses of sugar and alcohol. Sugar and alcohol are scientifically shown to suppress immune function immediately and leave you vulnerable to invaders. Keep intake to a minimum and definitely avoid combining sugar and alcohol together. Drink water, tea, coffee, and low-sugar beverages. Eat anything that grows from the ground, or has a face and a mother.
- Ensure routine bed-time, and get at least 7 hours of sleep (ideally 8). This allows your body to fully restore and repair and keep your immune system functioning 100%. IF you sleep less than 6 hours research has shown a 420% increased risk to the common cold alone!
- Minimize stress by turning OFF THE NEWS and meditating daily for at least 10 minutes. Schedule time in the morning or the evening for restorative activities like meditation, yoga practice, relaxation, and rest.
- Routine exercise has been shown to improve EVERYTHING in your life, including a more robust and healthy immune system. Do not hibernate during the fall and winter, get off your tuchus and get moving.
- In addition to probiotics, vitamin d, and fish oil, here are natural immune boosters I like to take during the winter months:
Zinc & Selenium: https://in8wc.metagenics.com/immucore
Vitamin C: https://in8wc.metagenics.com/ultra-potent-c-500
- Get adjusted by a chiropractor. Research and clinical evidence have shown that chiropractic adjustments can give your immune defense T-cells a boost. This is why I recommend an extra adjustment to my patients when they are feeling run down. Chiropractic was actually originally licensed in 1918 during the flu epidemic because those who were treated by chiroprators instead of traditional medicine had a significant decreased death rate! Yes, chiropractic was in its infancy at the time since it wasn’t founded until 1895 and it has been known ever since then to improve natural immunity!
There you have it. Even if you only employ ONE of these 10 bullet-proof strategies you will be safer and healthier for it.
By using any of the links above for the supplements recommended you will receive a 20% discount for your first order! If you have ordered before, be sure to use the code IN820 to enjoy another 20% discount!
Remember, wash your hands….. but the most important thing isn’t to avoid germs; the most important thing is to avoid BEING THE DIRT!
Dr. Ryan Hewitt